Cloud computing is the very problem in which the whole world is interested. This article provides some basic information on security and safety, as well as deploying cloud computing technology for organizations and businesses.
- The introduction of Cloud Computing
- Advantages and disadvantages of Cloud Computing
- Division of Cloud Computing
- Safety and security in the computing cloud environment
1.The introduction of Cloud Computing
This term has only appeared in recent years. By mid-2007, Amazon promoted research and deployed Cloud Computing. Soon, with the participation of major companies such as Microsoft, Google, IBM and Amazon … Cloud Computing prompted growing increasingly strong.
The strong growth of cloud computing has attracted a lot of scientists, universities and companies in information technology (IT) research investment. A large number of experts and organizations have launched their own definitions of cloud computing. Based on the figures of the magazine: “Cloud Magazine”, there are now more than two hundred different definitions of cloud computing. Each team provides the definition as understood, its own approach, it is difficult to find a general definition of cloud computing. Here are some definitions of cloud computing:
- Cloud computing is the IT services offered by IT resources regardless of the location (The 451 Group).
- Cloud computing provides IT resources with the scalability and elasticity, these resources are provided in the form of services for a variety of users through the Internet (Gartner).
A growing number of companies are engaging in the development of cloud computing applications, which are typical such as Google, IBM, Microsoft, Intel…That has created a large market applications cloud computing, bringing much greater choice for individuals and organizations wishing to “cloud” of applications and their data. According to the experts, the development of cloud computing in the future will focus on three key issues, including: The ability to link (Federated), automation and the first identification device Last (Client aware). This is the new approach to the problem of automation of information technology, which allows meeting the requirements of users with a new, more effective methods and saving much more money in the future for the users. The cloud links will enable faster sorting resources, while the cloud is capable of recognizing the terminal will take advantage of the specific features of each device optimally.
Advantages and disadvantages of Cloud Computing
- Low investment costs: Under the traditional model, to get the infrastructure, machinery and human resources and the users need time and funding to develop plans, investment in infrastructure, investment in machinery and administrators …. These fees are not small and sometimes not used effectively, for example, not meet or do not use full power when in use…. The difficulties will be resolved in the cloud computing model, with the motto “pay As You use” (users only pay for what you’ve used).
- Fast processing speeds, no longer dependent on the device and geographic location: it allows users to access and use the system through a web browser from anywhere and on any device they use (such as a PC or a mobile device …).
- Easy expansion and upgrades: Instead of having to invest in new or upgraded hardware, software, management team … to expand or upgrade the system for cloud computing, the users simply submit a request for service providers.
- Privacy: The information about users and data are stored in the cloud, and the server does not ensure that privacy is guaranteed and the users probably make use of that information to achieve others goals.
- Availability: The cloud computing center or network infrastructure can have problems, making cloud services are “hanging” unexpected, so that users cannot access the data services and their during certain periods.
- The possibility of data loss: Some services online data storage in the cloud suddenly stop working or do not continue to provide services, even in some cases, for some reason or another, the data users cannot be lost and unrecoverable.
- Ability to security: The issue focused data on the “cloud” is the effective way to enhance security, but on the other hand is also the concern of users of cloud computing services, because once the cloud is attacked or hacked, all data to be acquired.
Division of Cloud Computing
Basically, cloud computing can be classified as follows:
- Public Cloud: The application, storage and other resources of the public cloud are made to the public by a service provider available. These services are free or paid according to usage (pay – per – use). In general, the user’s data in the public cloud will be stored in the cloud and is authorized for service providers to manage.
- The infrastructure of private cloud is cloud only works for one organization, no matter whether it is managed and stored internally or by a third party (external). With a private cloud, users will be assured of the safety data above, it is suitable for users with sensitive data and privacy require high.
- Hybrid Cloud is a component of two or more clouds (private cloud and public cloud), which remains unique entities but links both of them together, providing the good points of various deployment methods. Using architecture “hybrid cloud”, companies and individuals can handle the error and combine with the ability to use the site immediately without depending on internet connection.
Safety and security in the computing cloud environment
The only concern in cloud computing technology is safety and its information is in principle of the data organization, depending on the level of cloud technology. In conventional calculation model (do not use the “cloud”), a user makes any configurable options and applications, to solve the problems that arise, including organizational issues and backup protection data. And in the cloud, and the above are entrusted to the service provider, and it was hard to grasp that they do things like that. So, customers must completely rely on the service provider. In agreements between service providers and customers, often contain provisions specifying: data protection is the customer. The risk of losing data in any time and leakage of sensitive information is a significant barrier in the application of cloud services software format by multiple users. Needless to say, the experts in the field of information security, when building protection system, always use the concept of “risk”, for example, if the data being protected is something that nobody needs, obviously should not build a complex protection system because it is sure of costing expensively.
In normal working mode, the task of ensuring the safety of the corporate computer network is taken responsible by administrators. Since enjoying cloud services, partly this task was transmitted to the service provider. At that time, especially in the case of SaaS, the possibility of somewhat is limited in a certain extent. Obviously, managing a firewall in the cloud will be more difficult to manage local firewall.
In the event of a DDoS attacking on the service provider or on one of the customers, the negative impact of the attack is likely to affect all customers. And the situation is no better if the vendor or one of the customers is compromised.
One problem is equally important, which is the ability to switch to using the services of other suppliers because of the fact that not a single of supplier can satisfy all customers
Ensuring safety is vital to the development of cloud computing in practice. Currently, many organizations and businesses have studied and made more secure solution for cloud computing. After that, I will introduce to you several striking models of basic encryption algorithm and safety for cloud servers which have been newly on public.
Model three-tier data protection in the cloud:
- Layer 1: this class authenticates users accessing the cloud, the solution is often applied to use one-time password (OTP). The system requiring high security authentication requests from both sides that users and vendors, but vendors with cloud-free, the only authentic one-way (Figure 3).
- Layer 2: This layer ensures data encryption, data integrity and protects user privacy (Private User Protection) through an encryption algorithm for confess.
- Layer 3: Class user data serves for fast data recovery speeds decoding.
Based on Encryption Proxy security model
The process of encryption or decryption and authentication is through Proxy Encryption. This model ensures data safety and confidentiality during transmission and storage between users and cloud so that the code is still being processed and managed hosting without decrypting the data encryption algorithm copper ingot (holomorphic encryption algorithm) and at full casts (fully homomorphism) that was interested in applying research this model. Confidential information of users to serve the process of encoding or decoding is stored in the Secure Storage.
Data protection model using VPN Cloud
In this model (Figure 5), to ensure data to be secure in the channels, people use VPN cloud to encrypt traffic between the private cloud and between users with cloud. Organizations need that high data security is often the choice when deploying cloud models separately (Private Cloud Computing). VPN is invented to create the special link between the user and the cloud, together with the relationship among the private cloud users and security as well through IPSec standards.
VPN technology in the traditional network has many advantages promoting Vietnam and is used quite commonly. However, with cloud computing technology, it always requires flexibility (dynamic) and elastic features in the organization and management of the system, the technical dynamic elastic VPN or VPN will fit. When the number of VPN connections in the cloud system will require large models suitable for VPN setup respectively. In specific, Full-Mesh and Hub-Spoke are the two models that are the most commonly used these days.
Development trends of cloud computing
Recently, in addition to providing models and cloud computing services for enterprises, vendors are working to introduce solutions and their cloud services to the administrative authorities’ state for developing countries. The cloud services popular like Google providing App Engine, Azure Microsoft, Amazon’s EC2, or IBM offering Smart Cloud Enterprise, Redhat offering the Redhat’s Open Shift, Industrial Institute of Software, VMware Cloud Foundry and Digital Content Vietnam have iDragon Clouds …
In which Red Hat’s OpenShift, Google Cloud, NISCI iDragon PaaS Clouds and VMware Cloud Foundry are open source, which allow enforcement on an infrastructure platform for low-cost and easy replacement.
According to many expert reviews, some people use public clouds will reach 1 billion by 2020. It is expected that, in 2012 in the world there are about 1 billion people are under the traditional use such as LibreOffice or OpenOffice, Microsoft Office, IBM Lotus Notes, Microsoft Exchange or Sharepoint, the 2020 everyone will move to public clouds.
International Data Corporation IDC announced new study showing that many large firms in the technology sector will be difficult to keep the current position, may even disappear in the market without adapting to clouds trend. IDC experts have identified: Large companies are facing huge shift. Hewlett – Packard is an example. Oracle, Cisco, Microsoft, RIM, SAP, Intel, Dell also have to change if it wants to survive, and at least a third of which will fade in 2020 before the rise of Google, Salesforce.com, Amazon or VMware…. That forced the technology company that delivers traditional software vendors have become a cloud service.
Cloud computing is growing and expanding at a rapid pace and the technology will gradually replace the traditional technology in the near future. The application of cloud computing is not just for small and medium enterprises, or individual users that it has been implemented for large enterprises and government agencies. The problem is to use cloud computing are really safe for the privacy of the user; data integrity; security…. This is also a problem to be invested in research in the coming period.
Cloud computing technology is just “trendy”, again just brings a lot of benefits, and should be expected to have many users. However, when organizations and businesses decide to switch to this technology, they will face up to many safety hazards of specific information that is not found in traditional networks. Therefore, they need to calculate carefully before deciding to posting up his job onto cloud.